A few weeks ago I decided to get a fitness tracker (Resisted up to now. Didn't want another thing beeping at me).
Thought I would give you my thoughts having used my Apple Watch everyday for the last month.
What I like:
- The useable fitness/health data is astounding. As a coach and trainer this info is extremely powerful and I will definitely be encouraging clients and Surf Strong Tribe members to find the right tool for them
- Not surprising that Apple has made the integration with my Macbook Pro and iPhone seamless with the Apple watch
- Dawn Patrol App
- This surf tracking app has done a great job so far tracking the fitness and wave specific data in a surf session
- Visually seeing your session is powerful
- It even reminds to stop your session if you forget
- I have been very deliberate on what I do and don't get notified on the watch and these have been a pleasant surprise
- Reminders that have GPS triggers so when I get home I'm reminded to do A,B, and C. When I get to Trader Joe's my my grocery list pops up
- I set only texts from my wife, daughter, and a few close friends to come to the watch and quick responses is really efficient
- Controlling music playing on my iphone has been really handy
- Deep breathing reminders
- Amazed after reminding clients for years to focus on deep nasal diaphragmatic breathes how often I forget myself
- These reminders up my breathe work daily
What I don't like:
- I have taken the watch off at night as I am not used to wearing a watch and the slight annoyance during sleep time meant it had to go
- Not being able to collect the sleep data has been a negative
- I'll probably search for as comfortable a watch band as I can or just get used to wearing the one I have which is actually pretty comfortable
As in most tech, configuring the Apple Watch to very specific settings is crucial to minimize distractions and interruptions.
I still want to benefit from the right data collection but I don't want it to come at the cost of productivity or more importantly be present with family and friends